At the thought of losing nothing that meant something.
I was speaking to a friend tonight about writing and they suggested I write for Thought Catalog…and I went off about how the site took a serious turn for the worse. So I wrote about it instead of for it, mocking it’s tired and vapid structures.
A list of why Thought Catalog writers should stop making lists…
- We get it…we don’t need a paragraph explaining in detail why you believe scarves can only be worn in the winter under each listed point. Lists should stand for themselves, not need explanatory text.
- Making posts using regurgitated information because you aren’t creative enough to think of something yourself like, here’s what I read about Walmart’s opinions of Paula Deen. Or just taking quotes from TV shows and interviews to show you’re in the know.
- Writing about learning life lessons from places like Starbucks and Target. C’mon. Seriously?
- I really don’t wanna be reading how people I went to high school with that their babies are being potty trained in a 3 line status on Facebook, why would I want to read an 8 paragraph documentation of the different kinds of orgasms you’ve experienced, or your justification of why being single doesn’t matter to you (whatever helps you sleep at night) when it’s just a longer-winded and meaningless version of a Facebook status.
- I read this all the time, these lists about what women really want out of life, love, relationships, and men writing about the intricate ways women need to give head; they just generalize and put their entire sex under this umbrella of well they must all think this way and are completely wrong and sometimes borderline offensive.
- You’re 25, not 80…you haven’t figured everything out to the point that you can be advising other 20-somethings about the meaning of life, truth, and how to deal with love, loss, and sex.
- You graduated 4 months ago, stop complaining about the things you can no longer do since you moved out of college and back into your parents house. Get over it and maybe read some of those terrible posts about adding meaning and substance to your life (although maybe you already did and that’s why you’re still stuck here. Vicious cycle).
- The recent and majority of lists and reasons posted on the site, like why you think women love you even though you’re misogynistic are vapid and useless to the human race.
- There is just no quality to this writing. If you’re going to write about your thoughts, make it interesting, make it worth it for people to read, that they can glean something from it. I’m done reading these empty posts that aren’t even entertaining anymore.
« Previous 2/20 Next »